University Union is thrilled to announce Mayfest 2017, featuring hip-hop artist Vic Mensa and electronic DJ trio Cheat Codes. The concert takes place on Friday, April 28th, 2017 in Walnut Park from 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm.
Walnut Park will be split into three sections, following already-existing city blocks. The first section offers complimentary beer and food with proof of age, the middle holds the concert stage featuring live musical acts, and the third section serves free food and non-alcoholic beverages.
Chicago rapper Vic Mensa released his debut mixtape Innanetape in 2013 and closed out the year by joining J. Cole and Wale on the “What Dreams May Come True” Tour. The critically acclaimed project earned him a top spot on XXL Magazine’s 2014 Freshman Class. Mensa was featured on Kanye West’s song “Wolves,” and earned a Grammy Nomination as a songwriter on West’s song “All Day,” from his album The Life of Pablo. In 2016, Mensa released his 7-track debut EP, There’s Alot Going On, which included the powerful song “16 Shots.” Mensa has collaborated with West on the hit single “U Mad,” Kaytranada’s “DRIVE ME CRAZY” and Gorillaz song “Clint Eastwood.” He has performed at Governors Ball Festival 2015 Coachella Music Festival, Lollapalooza and many more.
Electronic DJ trio Cheat Codes started making music in 2014. Their single “Adventure,” released in 2015, reached the #1 spot on Spotify’s Global Viral 50. The trio toured with The Chainsmokers, Ansolo, and DallasK and have received praise from Buzzfeed, Huffington Post, Indie Shuffle, and more. Their hit single “Sex” was released in early 201 and takes the hook from Salt-N-Pepa’s “Let’s Talk About Sex” combined with tropical-inspired house, making it an instant hit. Within two months, it had reached #10 on Spotify's Global Charts, went Top 20 in 20 countries, and 100 million streams. The song has now garnered more than 395 million streams on Spotify. Their most recent single, “No Promises,” featuring Demi Lovato, was released on March 31st and has received praise from EDM Sauce and was a Spotify Editors Pick featured in Billboard.
Admission into Mayfest
- Entry into Mayfest is free for all SU and SUNY-ESF undergraduate students with their most recently issued SU/SUNY-ESF ID
- Pre-purchased tickets are required for guests of SU and SUNY-ESF undergraduate students, along with an active college or military ID
- Pre-purchased tickets are required for all SU and SUNY-ESF graduate students, along with a valid SU/ESF college ID
- Tickets are NOT available at the park
- Must have a valid ticket, college or military ID, and state or government issued ID over 21 to receive a bracelet for beer and admission to the beer section of Walnut Park
- Entry between 1 pm - 3 pm receives wristbands for three beers
- Entry after 3 pm receives wristband for two beers
- Backpacks and/or bags are not permitted
- Available at the Schine Box Office beginning Tuesday, April 18 at 9am
- 600 guest tickets will be available to SU and SUNY-ESF undergraduate students; limit two guest tickets per student
- A limited of tickets will be available to SU and SUNY-ESF graduate students and SU law students
- Tickets include food, non-alcoholic beverages, and music entertainment
- Beer is included for students who are 21 years of age with a valid college or military ID and state or government issued ID over 21
- Tickets will be sold until 4:30 PM at the Schine Box Office on Friday, April 28th, or earlier in the event they should sell out
- $23 per ticket for SU/SUNY-ESF graduate students and SU law students; limit one per student ID
- $23 guest ticket; limit two per SU/SUNY-ESF undergraduate student ID